Nigeria 'Draws Red Line' Over Xenophobic Attacks in South Africa



The Nigerian government said on Wednesday that it had drawn 'a red line' with South Africa over the xenophobic attacks on Nigerians in the country.

In ongoing diplomatic fall-out over xenophobic attacks in South Africa, the Nigerian Minister of Foreign Affairs, Geoffrey Onyeama, says the country has recalled its ambassador to South Africa and there have been reports in Nigerian newspapers that the country has pulled out of the World Economic Forum Africa meeting in Cape Town. The presidents of Rwanda, DR of Congo and Malawi are reported to have pulled out of the summit in protest against the violence, but the governments of Rwanda and DRC, WEF organisers and the South African government all deny that is the reason for their absence.

The Minister of Foreign Affairs, Geoffery Onyeama, who spoke to journalists after meeting with President Muhammadu Buhari in Abuja, also said Nigeria would not 'cave in' on the matter.

"We want to assure all Nigerians that this government is determined, that red line has been drawn and that we will not cave in on this occasion," Mr Onyeama said.

"The South African government has to assume its responsibilities and protect Nigerians in South Africa and we have to hold them to account and they have to do that as well as pay full compensation," he added.

"Enough is enough - we are going to address it once and for all this time. This is the position of government," he said.

The official said no Nigerian has been killed in the latest round of xenophobic attacks on foreign nationals in South Africa.

He, however, said many businesses owned by Nigerians had been destroyed.